Anyone who wants to make a career in digital marketing must know what a common job description for digital marketing looks like. It helps you build a strong and impressive resume that stands out and prepares you for the interview better.
An ideal digital marketing job description outlines everything that the employer expects from a skilled digital marketer. It specifies the nature of the job, skills required, duties, responsibilities, and other criteria. Moreover, the primary focus is managing marketing projects and campaigns across multiple platforms and handling client requirements.
There are different specializations in digital marketing, such as social media marketing, SEO, email marketing, content marketing, PPC, etc. Each has different roles and responsibilities for every professional, which can vary according to the company and team. Their job profile may include preparing reports, running campaigns, conducting regular audits, tracking and measuring results, etc.
In this blog, we will discuss the description of different job roles depending on the positioning in digital marketing and other details required to be a digital marketer.
Who is a Digital Marketer?
A digital marketer promotes products, services, and brands via digital platforms, such as social media, websites, emails, mobile apps, etc. They employ several technologies and tools to connect with the target audience online and zero in on the best digital marketing strategy to meet the business goals.
Irrespective of a job position in digital marketing, these specialists hold expertise in pay-per-click, search engine optimization, social media marketing, email marketing, content marketing, and more. Also, they are responsible for budget management, data analysis, campaign tracking, and other aspects of digital marketing.
Growth of Digital Marketing Jobs
The demand for digital marketers has shot up in recent years, especially after the pandemic when many businesses embraced digital platforms and the Internet. With the ever-rising importance of the online presence of businesses and brands, companies are looking for competent marketers to handle their projects and accelerate business growth. This has led to a rapid increase in job opportunities for freshers and experienced professionals.
India alone is expected to generate around 20 lakh jobs in the field, with a growth of 27.4% by 2025. So, for anyone aspiring to make a career in digital marketing, it’s the perfect time to get started.
Upskill Yourself With Live Training (Book Free Class)
|Suggested Courses for You
|Book Live Class for FREE!
|Digital Marketing Course
|Google Ads Course
|Facebook Ads Course
Digital Marketing Job Roles
Digital marketers perform different job roles depending on the project and the company’s requirements. They can be content marketers, email marketers, PPC analysts, social media marketers, SEO specialists, and whatnot. Irrespective of the job title, the job profile of digital marketing professionals remains almost the same, where they are primarily responsible for promoting products and services online. They use the internet, technology, and digital platforms to reach the target audience, engage them, drive website traffic, increase conversion rates, and attain marketing goals. Here are the key job responsibilities of digital marketers based on their job roles:
1. Digital Marketer
Digital marketers/ managers lead the marketing team. Hence, they have a lot to manage and supervise. They execute digital marketing campaigns within the set budget and timeline. They stay updated with the current trends and tools to accomplish faster results. Job description for digital marketing managers includes:
- Engaging with the target audience through online channels.
- Executing and supervising digital marketing campaigns.
- Acclocating budgets for paid marketing.
- Coordinating between teams.
- Tracking and analyzing performances of campaigns.
- Carrying out conversion tests and reports.
- Reporting performances of all campaigns to clients and stakeholders.
- Setting up long-term and short-term goals and increasing marketing effectiveness accordingly.
2. SEO Specialist
According to a recent report, around 93% of online interactions start through search engines, such as Google and Bing. An effective SEO strategy can generate organic and quality traffic. Most internet users don’t go past the first result page. Hence, it is important for businesses to achieve higher search engine rankings.
For this, they hire SEO specialists in teams. These professionals use their prowess to optimize websites and content to drive more traffic. Also, they make sure that the content is responsive and easy to understand. Moreover, a major part of their digital marketing jobs description is keyword research. Have a look at other responsibilities of digital marketers:
- Collecting data and analyzing results.
- Create keyword strategies and execute SEO campaigns.
- Conducting SEO audits.
- Optimizing meta tags, headlines, alt tags, and other content.
- Leveraging SEO tools for better results.
- Increasing return on investment.
- Conducting competitor analysis.
- Link building.
- Managing on-page and off-page SEO techniques.
3. Content Marketer
content marketing is one of the most important digital marketing roles. Content marketers compose quality and well-researched content for multiple platforms, including blogs, websites, social media, videos, emails, etc.
Their work can hugely impact the success of a marketing campaign. Content marketers are writers, videographers, and content creators who produce online content to achieve specific marketing goals. Companies can hire them as full-time employees or freelancers, depending on the requirements. Their responsibilities include:
- Planning content marketing campaigns and executing them.
- Ensuring consistency with brand messaging.
- Identifying the latest trends and leveraging them.
- Coming up with new and innovative ideas to engage users with the brand.
- Coordinating with designers, SEO experts, and social media marketers.
- Create engaging and quality content for different platforms and channels.
- Compose relatable and SEO-friendly content.
- Measure results for different campaigns.
4. Social Media Marketer
Social media needs no introduction. There are more than 4 billion internet users worldwide, and businesses can’t afford to miss these platforms to promote their products and services. In fact, social media is the first touchpoint for many potential online consumers.
Therefore, it is a crucial part of any job description of a digital marketer posted by recruiters. Social media marketers ensure organic reach, user engagement, business growth, and increased click rates through interesting and unique social media posts. Their job responsibilities are:
- Replying to comments and feedback.
- Posting frequently on different platforms.
- Building connections with users and engaging them.
- Collaborating with designers.
- Tracking results and optimizing the social media marketing strategy.
- Increase brand awareness and engagement.
Interview Questions for You to Prepare for Jobs
|SEO Interview Questions
|Power BI Interview Questions
|Digital Marketing Interview Questions
|Email Marketing Interview Questions
|Flutter Interview Questions
|Content Writing Interview Questions
|NodeJS Interview Questions
5. Email Marketer
Email marketers craft effective emails to nurture leads, build strong customer relationships, and stay connected with potential clients. Email marketing is counted among the key digital marketing roles and responsibilities and includes
- Creating compelling content
- Designing email templates
- Creating email lists
- Tracking the performance of the email marketing campaign.
6. PPC Analyst
PPC analyst/specialist is one of the most sought-after digital marketing roles in India. These professionals handle paid marketing campaigns, leveraging different channels to reach a wider audience and boost website traffic.
Using different tools, such as Google Keyword Planner and Ahrefs, these experts find the right keywords and build campaigns around them. PPC specialists are responsible for:
- Establishing key performance metrics.
- Planning, strategizing, and implementing paid marketing campaigns.
- Finding the target audience.
- Optimizing paid ads.
- Creating copies for paid ads.
- Running paid ad campaigns, tracking results, taking appropriate actions, and optimizing content in real-time.
Job Description for Digital Marketing Roles
Digital marketers use different platforms and techniques to connect with the target audience, including emails, websites, social media, blogs, mobile apps, etc. Most of these avenues allow businesses to use key performance indicators (KPIs) to track and measure the performance of campaigns and determine their success.
Irrespective of digital marketing positions titles, digital marketers are responsible for enhancing brand awareness, acquiring new customers, and driving traffic to the website.
From social media to websites to emails, they handle every platform and aspect efficiently to drive the best results. Here is a look at the job description of a digital marketer, including duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and other criteria.
Digital Marketing Job Duties and Responsibilities
The success of digital marketing campaigns heavily depends on digital marketers and project managers. Digital marketing managers supervise and oversee different aspects of marketing, including content, SEO, PPC, emails, etc., paying attention to every detail from start to finish.
They use cutting-edge tools to implement campaigns, track results, streamline the process, and manage the workflow. Also, they coordinate with designers, developers, clients, and stakeholders to ensure that everything falls in place and the team is working toward a single goal. Meeting deadlines and implementing alternatives is also a part of digital marketing job responsibility. Below, we have shared key job responsibilities and duties of digital marketers.
- Develop digital marketing strategies and run campaigns online to meet business goals.
- Manage multiple digital marketing campaigns simultaneously across different channels, including social media, websites, emails, etc.
- Conduct detailed market research and evaluate the latest trends to find new opportunities.
- Track and measure results and prepare detailed reports to assess the effectiveness of marketing campaigns.
- Evaluate results against the set goals, i.e., KPIs and ROI.
- Ensure that campaigns are within the set budgets and timelines.
- Assign tasks to different team members and monitor their work.
- Schedule marketing campaigns and projects.
- Boost brand awareness and visibility.
- Establish a strong online presence to boost traffic.
- Optimize landing pages, content, and website for higher search engine result rankings.
- Collaborate with other teams, including designers, developers, creatives, and others, to produce engaging content and offer seamless user experiences.
- Allocate all the available resources efficiently.
- Assess and mitigate risks to run campaigns without hassle.
- Follow best practices for social media, prepare email templates, launch promotional offers, and optimize web pages.
Digital Marketing Job Specification: Qualifications and Requirements
There are different digital marketing job types; each demands a different skill set and qualification. A full-fledged digital marketer may need a bachelor’s degree in marketing, commerce, or related field to enter the industry. An internship with a renowned firm will add value to the resume.
A mid-level position requires at least two years of experience with a relevant bachelor’s or master’s degree. Also, if they are well-versed in video editing, graphic designing, content management systems, and marketing software, it will be a plus. Here are the major requirements and eligibility criteria for digital marketing job roles:
- Experience in digital marketing or related field for mid-level to senior-level digital marketing positions.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in marketing, communication, journalism, PR, or related field.
- Fair understanding of digital marketing platforms and channels, including SEO, PPC, analytics, etc.
- Expertise in using digital marketing tools and technologies.
- Attention to detail, multitasking, and ability to handle multiple projects.
- Excellent communication skills- verbal and written.
- Experience with web analytics tools and marketing automation tools.
- Capability to attract, engage, and retain the target audience.
- Project management and content management skills.
- Basic programming experience will be beneficial.
- Proficiency in SEO, SEM, and marketing databases.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of digital marketing trends, search engine algorithms, and consumer behavior.
- Ability to design and implement informative and motivational digital marketing campaigns.
- Proven track record and experience.
- Strong leadership skills in a senior-level digital marketing job title.
- Well-versed in landing page optimization, A/B testing, and user funnels.
- Understanding of web analytics tools, marketing software, and serving tools.
Free Courses for You
|Google Tag Manager Course
|Affiliate Marketing Course
|Video Editing Course
|Email Marketing Course
The Digital marketing industry is growing and will expand more in the coming years. It offers lucrative opportunities for beginners and professionals, provided you possess key skills and knowledge. Also, make sure your CV aligns with the job description of the digital marketing role you are applying for. Your qualifications, projects, capabilities, skills, and achievements must be clearly highlighted to grab the attention of recruiters.
Read more blogs